Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Blood Diamond

Whoa, Ryan and I just got back from the movie theater, where we watched Blood Diamond. Again I say Whoa! That is the most intense movie I think I have ever seen. A bit too violent for my liking but yet they are trying to capture how real the violence is in Africa. I have read this is one of the best films of 2006, it definitely impacted me! It gives you a look into the bloody brutality of civil war, the corruption, the training of child soldiers, and a glimpse into how our culture impacts this devastation. I think I lead an extremely naive life, I had never heard of a "blood diamond" before. Had you? And did you know that it is up to the consumer to find out if the diamond they are purchasing is a conflict diamond!!! It really makes you think about why we would even want such a stone.

1 comment:

the jordans said...

I had heard of this before in my limited past jeweller working experience. I had Kevin make sure that the diamond came with a Canadian certificate. The other good news is though that apparently this is not as common in Canada anymore.