Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Muffins?


I have go to share with you all the events of our household last night. Some of you may know that on Monday night Abby started to complain of a stomach ache and Ryan and I thought oh man here we go again. She had a bad night but in the morning she had perked up so off to school she went. All three kids actually at school this hasn't happened in a week!
After school Emily came over to play the girls had a great time, towards the end of the playdate Abby started to fade. She was back to complaining of a stomach ache again. We distracted her for a bit, as I was playing with her and Emily and having a nice tea party with delicious imaginary muffins.....Abby lost her "muffins" all over me! Thus bringing the playtime and teaparty to an end.
Abby still not well, was sitting on my lap at the kitchen table. I just finished my soup and her body began to rumble and she declared she had to cough (her code word) and yet again more "muffins" land perfectly in my soup bowl. Josh was so not impressed beggin and pleading for us to remove the bowl of course we did it just couldn't be fast enough for him. At this point Ryan had to leave for work. He had the boys vow to be good and go to bed quickly and quietly tonight. We began our bedtime routine at 7pm boys had a bath, I held Abby, boys got their Jammies on, I held Abby boys brushed their teeth Abby shared those "muffins" again! I got that all cleaned up tucked the boys in and retreated with Abby downstairs to lay on the couch. She was beginning to get a incredibly heavy to lug around. While we were downstairs Caleb shouted out "my tummy hurts" He did this on three different occasions and finally I brought Abby upstairs with me to check on him. What we found was a very pale little boy who was about to lose his "muffins"! I put Abby in her bed and told her I needed to help Caleb. At this point I went from Caleb's room to Abby's room in 5 minutes intervals. No "muffins" were shared. After doing this for about an hour. Caleb fell asleep. Abby did not and sure enough the rumbles began and the declaration of her needing to "cough" and tadaaa "muffin". Cleaned up and back downstairs we went, Hmm do we see a pattern here?
Ryan came home. Saw the state of the house and knew something was not right. I shared with him my evening and really all we could do was laugh. I made a pack with him I said I will continue to deal with kids until 11:30pm then I pass the torch and whatever happens I leave to you. I told him you never know everyone could just sleep....it was worth the gamble for me. Unfortunately for Ryan it paid off. Ryan so graciously cleaned up the dinner dishes and took the dog out. Meanwhile I FINALLY got Abby to her bed and she was apparently staying. PHew off to bed I go. Not more then 15minutes later Caleb wakes up. It was exactly 11:45pm. Ryan dashed into his room and tried to console him but all he wanted was his Mommy! Ryan brought him into our bed. His stomach was turning and he was in pain. Really when the other two were sick I was there to look after them just because Caleb's sick time fell on the shift change I couldn't not help him. It took about 25minutes and then Ryan made him an offer he liked. Down to the basement they went to sleep. And off to sleep I went. Around 5:00am I could woke up in a start, there was banging and rummaging going on. I actually thought oh great we are being robbed. I got up Ryan is not there, but I remember quickly he and Caleb are sleeping in the basement. I figure ok it is up to me to deal with the burglar. As I creep out my door, I see Ryan. He is banging around the washing machine. I ask him what is going on. He proceeded to tell me Caleb lost his "muffins" all over him and the couch. Ryan is pretty certain the two of them got about an hours sleep.
Ryan is off to work now, and Caleb is upstairs sleeping. So today only one out of the three douglas kids are at school.

Lets pray we don't have any more "muffins" today!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, now that is one crazy day! I can only imagine how zonked you guys feel. I'll never think of the word 'muffins' in the same way again (I'm not sure that I'm thankful for that).

Hope your kids get well soon. You guys could probably use a break!